Ioffe Workshop on GRBs and other transient sources: 25 Years of Konus-Wind Experiment
September 9–13, 2019, St.Petersburg, Russia

The Ioffe Workshop on GRBs and other transient sources will take place at the Ioffe Institute. Street address: Polytechnicheskaya st., 26, St.Petersburg, near metro station "Politekhnicheskaya" (a few minutes walk from the station). The entrance to the Ioffe Institute is from Polytechnicheskaya street (see Map and directions).

The history of the institute began on 1918 September 29 when a physical-technical department of the State Institute of Radiology and Roentgenology was established. In 1921 the department became an independent Institute. Abram Ioffe was named as its first Director – a position he would hold until 1950.

The main building, given to the Institute in 1922, was constructed in 1912—1916 in neoclassical style designed by G. D. Grimm and originally was as an almshouse.

In May 1939 the institute became a member of the USSR Academy of Sciences.

The institute has been home to Nobel prize winners Zhores Alferov, Lev Landau, Pyotr Kapitsa, Nikolay Semyonov, and Igor Tamm; and distinguished Russian scientists Igor Kurchatov, Anatoly Alexandrov, Yulii Khariton, and Yakov Zel'dovich.

Today the Ioffe Institute is one of Russia's largest research centers specialized in physics and technology.